Times have changed, definitely. Americans today go crazy about Halloween but do they know what it really was about historically? Hard to say.
Below you can see a set of two short videos with a message.
I. Halloween Spree & Party. One more reason to celebrate.
The Voice of America (2009) video shows us the contemporary face of this celebration.
After watching tasks:
1. Watch and make a list of presented Halloween:
- house decorations
2. How long is the Halloween period according to National Retail Federation?
3.What businesses benefit from the Halloween craze?
4.What activities do children engage in on Halloween farms?
5.How much are consumers expected to spend on Halloween?
6. How does the Zoo take advantage of this holiday?
7. What overall image and attitude does the video present?
II. In The Know: Has Halloween Become Overcommercialized? Has it lost sight of the true meaning of Halloween?
1. Does your country have any holidays similiar to Halloween?
2. Is Halloween celebrated in your country? If so, how is it celebrated?
3. Why is Halloween celebrated now?
4. Why was it celebrated hundreds of years ago?
5. Has Halloween candy distracted people from appeasing evil forces to save the crops from perishing and beg generous harvest?
III. Here you will find a great worksheet for all age groups, but from at least pre-intermediate level.